video settings

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Apr 21 22:26:11 UTC 2006

Dear Aliyah et al.,
     I just now updated the web page at talkbank.org/dv/
compression.html to include a bit more information
on settings.  I also put up a newer version of the settings file.  It
appears that I had the wrong one there for the last
couple of months.  Also, on a suggestion from some folks at Lund, we
are now using deinterlace blending to improve
the image a bit.  The complete list of settings is rather long, but
here it is in rather unreadable format:

We are using QuickTime .mov format compressed with Sorenson 3 with 2-
pass VBR in a 320 x 240 frame with 30 keyframes and blended
deinterlacing. Our cleaner settings file is called SV3VBR-VHS1 and it
is here. You should add this file to the folder in Cleaner settings
for QuickTime/NTSC. In greater detail, the settings include these
start, Compress movie headers. Tracks: Process video (display high
quality), Process audio, Process MPEG. Image: Numeric crop, Image
size 320x240, Deinterlace (blend), Noise reduce. Adjust: Brightness
10. Encode: Sorenson Video 3 Compressor, Millions of colors, Spatial
95%, 30 fpts, Keyframe every 150, 983.0 kbits/s video. Audio: IMA
4:1, 352.8 kbits/s, 16-bit stereo samples at 44.100 kHz. If you are
coming from VHS and have noise at the bottom of the screen, you need
numeric cropping. If you don't see a distorted image at the bottom of
the screen, you can turn off numeric cropping.

--Brian