Remove

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Dec 15 20:34:03 UTC 2007

Dear Annabelle,
      Sorry about the delay in replying to your question.  The best way
to achieve what you want is not to remove the imitations and
neologisms from the %mor line, but to remove them when you actually
run your FREQ analysis.  You do this just by adding the -s switch.
So, you might have a command such as

freq +t%mor -s"neo*" *.cha

The same switch would work for VOCD.  For items that have a clear
signature in the %mor line, such as parts of speechs or neologisms,
this is easy.  The work of identifying specific words that are
imitations is another matter.  I don't know how a program can
uniformly decide whether a given word is an imitation.  Typically,
people think of imitation as a sentence-level phenomenon, not a word-
level phenomenon.  To code sentences as imitations, you can use the [+
imit] postcode and then you can include or exclude the whole utterance
using this postcode.

--Brian MacWhinney