words with accents

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:52:58 UTC 2007

Dear CLAN community,

     It looks like there is a lot of confusion about Unicode CLAN, that is
clanxu.sit and clanwinu.exe. Both of those version will be able to open your
data files and convert them to Unicode format, if necessary. But neither one
of them will be able run CLAN programs correctly on you old, non-Unicode
data files.

If you are using PC, then please open your data file with Notepad.

If you are using Mac, then please use TextEdit.

Next check for a "@UTF8" line at the top of the data file.

If this line is missing then you need to run cp2utf conversion program on
your data files. If you have just a few files and/or you want to convert
them by hand, then you can just open each data file with Unicode CLAN, make
a small change and then save it. That will convert your data file(s) to
Unicode.

If your are constantly using textin to convert files to CHAT format, then
you will need to run cp2utf on the output of the textin program.

If you choose to continue using Unicode CLAN on non-Unicode data, then you
will be stuck with the only option described in a message below.

     All of the data on childes web site has already been converted to
Unicode, so if you are experiencing a problem with that data, then please
let us know so that we can fix the problem.

Leonid.