Batch conversion of CHAT files to Praat TextGrids

Fredrik Karlsson dargosch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:55:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

Thank you so much for replying. Using your and suggestions did take me
coser to the goal, although I have not been entirely successful in
this. Indeed, the TalkBank version of the .cha files seems to be more
well formed, but it seems that there may be a problem still either
with the files or the chat2praat program.

Using the EngIta/An/liean11a.cha, I have this portion in the original file:

*SAN:	# mhm.  %snd:"liean11a"_149686_150197
*INM:	and in the kitchen the sound will bounce # on the [>] table .
*SAN:	mm mm [<].
*INM:	and everything so I think this is [>] this is very good.
*SAN:	mhm mhm [<].  %snd:"liean11a"_150520_155392

which becomes this in the textGrid file:

        intervals [55]
            xmin = 149.686
            xmax = 150.197
            text = "# mhm."
        intervals [56]
            xmin = 150.197
            xmax = -0.002     <---- Strange...
            text = "mm mm [<]."
        intervals [57]
            xmin = -0.002
            xmax = 150.520
            text = ""
        intervals [58]
            xmin = 150.520
            xmax = 155.392
            text = "mhm mhm [<]."

Obviously, Praat does not like something ending 150.199 ms before it
starts, so the file is not usable. An xmin < 0 is also something you
would not expect.  I don't know enough about .chat files to be sure
about this, but it seems that the program is doing something wrong
here?

/Fredrik

--
"Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't
get anything out of it."