windows vista

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Jan 8 18:56:02 UTC 2008

Dear Alice,
      I took a quick look at the CLAN manual just now and I see that
there is a missing sentence just at the place to which you refer.
This is Chapter 2, not Chapter 1, but it is clear that you are
referring to the first run of the command  "freq sample.cha"  The
missing sentence is just below the figure showing the Command window.
Is it possible that you just hit the return key without typing in
"freq sample.cha".  In that case, you are right that nothing will
happen.  Given the fact that this crucial sentence was missing, that
would certainly be a possibility.
     I am busy now repairing that part of the manual and I will post a
corrected version to the web in a few minutes.

-- Brian MacWhinney