Converting doc transcripts to CHAT; Cylliric alphabet; inconvenient special symbols

bartsch bartsch at zas.gwz-berlin.de
Tue Mar 24 21:51:25 UTC 2009

Dear all,

In behalf of a colleague working with a large corpus of Bulgarian
transcripts, I'd like to ask for help with regard to following issues:

1. Is there any efficient way to painlessly convert transcripts originally
written with Word (.doc) to CHAT transcripts? Which kind of corrections
might be necessary after converting?

2. We attempted to produce CHAT transcripts by copying&pasting from Word
files to CHAT files. One problem was that the Cylliric letters got lost in
the copy & paste action. We are wondering whether this has something to do
with the computer being used. I hadn't this problem with my PC (Windows
Vista), while my colleague has a Mac (OS X 10.4.11).

3. Another problem observed by copying & pasting was the generation of
unwanted symbols in the CHAT file.

Thanks and kind regards,
Susanna

Susanna Bartsch
bartsch at zas.gwz-berlin.de
http://www.zas.gwz-berlin.de/mitarb/homepage/bartsch
Zentrum fuer Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft (ZAS)
Centre for General Linguistics
Schuetzenstr. 18
10117 Berlin
Germany
Tel. +49 (0)30 20 192 503
Fax  +49 (0)30 20 192 402

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Avira MailGate NOTICE * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Avira MailGate has processed a mail addressed to you, which contained no known
potential malicious software.

In case you notice abnormal behavior of your software after opening the
mail or one of its attachments, please forward the complete mail to
Avira GmbH <mailto:support at avira.com> so it can be
checked for unknown new potential malicious software.

--
Avira MailGate

Copyright (c) 2008 by Avira GmbH.
All rights reserved.