Compounds

Annabelle David annabelledavid at hotmail.com
Wed May 6 10:17:08 UTC 2009

Dear all

I am working on French data at the minute and there is a category of
compounds that is causing me problems. Compounds that are also proper nouns
and so take capital letters cannot be transcribed with the + sign as the
CHECK program does not allow it.
For example, Grande+Bretagne or Etats+Unis do not pass check. So far, I have
used an underscore instead (Grande_Bretagne) but this is not very satisfying
as it means compounds have two different codings.
Is there a way around this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Annabelle