Searching for combinations of words from a file

Jonathan jonathan.udoff at gmail.com
Fri May 15 07:24:12 UTC 2009

I've read through the CLAN manual, and I'm still unclear how to
reference a word list file to do a complex search. Or if there are any
format requirements for the file.

I am trying to search for certain combination of adjacent function
words and clitics in Catalan. For example, looking for underuse of
elision of articles with nouns, I need to find all instances of "el/la
(h)V". So I created a word list of el^hu*, el^u*, la^hu*, la^u*, etc.
The words are separated by carriage returns, and I saved the file as
a .cha in the folder that lib is set to. But I either get errors or no
matches when trying to run a search linking to that file.

1) Is the .cha file I created correct? Is it legal to use the * and ^
operators?
2) What is the proper format for calling that file using the +s
switch? I've seen +sfilename.cha, +s at filename, +s@, +s"filename.cha"
and none of these work, neither their variants.
3) Should I be doing this search via the kwal or combo commands - is
there a difference in this case?
4) For future reference, what is the proper syntax to refer to
multiple files in a +s switch, eg, +s at file1^@file2^@file1 ?

Sorry I'm such a neophyte, but there don't seem to be many web-based
resources for CLAN besides this forum and the manual!