Capital letters in written L2 data?

Riikka riikka1990 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:14:31 UTC 2009

Dear all,

We're using a somewhat modified form of CHAT to transcribe Finnish/
English L2 written data (modified for coding purposes and because the
system was originally developed for spoken language data).

Although we cannot use MOR in CLAN for Finnish L2 data,  we're going
to try to use it for English L2 data.

The problem is that in our transcribed data set we've retained upper
case letters exactly as they were used in the original hand-written
data.  Of course, MOR interprets all words with the initial letter in
upper case as proper nouns.  I was wondering, is there a clever way to
make MOR ignore at least  the sentence initial upper case letters? Or
do we just have to prepare another data set, with upper case letters
edited out?

Best,
Riikka from Jyvaskyla, Finland