Bilingual glossing using MOR/POST

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Dec 27 20:49:39 UTC 2010

Dear Kevin,
    The problem with mixed utterances is that they don't have the required syntactic context
needed to do disambiguation through POST.  One can imagine possible solutions, but they would
require a pretty huge programming effort.  For now, I would think that the best solution is to pay close
attention to the directionality of coding in each mixed utterance.  In the case, you give here, it makes
more sense to call this an English sentence with a single Spanish word.  In the case of Cantonese-English
mixed language sentences, I often found a single Cantonese form inside a sentence that was otherwise
all English.  More interestingly, these interposed forms were often communicators or interjections such as
"haiwo" or just "wo".  I was able to handle this by creating a file of interposed Cantonese forms inside the English MOR.  You might wish to take a look at this.

There is also a solution that allows you to forcibly insert a part of speech by hand in advance.  This is given on
page 26 of the manual.  The example there is to use  recordar at s$v:inf to show that this Spanish word is an infinitive.
And the other alternative is to simply post-process all the L2| codes in the %mor line by hand.

-- Brian