MOR tagset and date of application of MOR and GRASP to files on CHILDES website

Erin Quirk capricha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:02:22 UTC 2010

Hello,
I have three questions regarding CHILDES.  First, is there a
comprehensive list of tags used by MOR?  I have found various lists in
the manuals made available on the CHILDES website, but none seem to be
comprehensive.
My second question is regarding the information in the %mor tier of
the downloadable transcripts on the CHILDES site.  I recently read a
paper that details several changes made in the morphological and
syntactic coding schemes that, if I understand correctly, were used in
the versions of MOR and GRASP that generated %mor and %gra tiers in
the files available on-line.  I understood that the changes in the
morphological scheme were applied to the Eve corpus in the process of
hand-checking both the morphological and grammatical relation tags.
The rest of the corpora on CHILDES have not undergone manual checking
and thus still have output from the old morphological scheme.  Is that
correct?
My third question is regarding GRASP and MEGRASP.  Do I understand
correctly that the %gra tier contains output from GRASP and the %xsyn
tier from MEGRASP? I'm confused because I've downloaded several files
that do not have %xsyn tiers, yet the website says that in November
2007, MEGRASP was used to tag the grammatical relations for the
English-USA and English-UK corpora.  I guess my question really boils
down to this: for each transcript downloadable from the CHILDES site,
is there a place housing information about which version of
grammatical relations tagger and morphological tagger was applied to
it?
Thank you very much!
Best,
Erin Quirk