Searching for syntactic contexts

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 19 19:39:17 UTC 2010

Lara,

    As best as I understand your goal, I think you can accomplish it with
the following two commands:

    combo +t%mor +s"*|think*^(det|*+n|*)" +d3 +f *.cha
    freqpos *.cmb.cex

I have used a small sample file and I search for different combination of
two words, but the principle is the same. Here is an example output I got:

combo +t%mor +s"*|think*^(pro:dem|*+prep|*)" +d3 test.cha
>From file <test.cha>
@Comment:    -----------------------------------
@Comment:    *** File "test.cha": line 292;
*PAR:
               v|think pro:dem|that
@Comment:    -----------------------------------
@Comment:    *** File "test.cha": line 358;
*PAR:
                           v|think&PAST prep|of
@Comment:    -----------------------------------
@Comment:    *** File "test.cha": line 416;
*PAR:
               v|think pro:dem|that

freqpos test.cmb.cex
Fri Mar 19 15:16:59 2010
freqpos (18-Mar-2010) is conducting analyses on:
  ALL speaker tiers
>From file <test.cmb.cex>
  1  prep|of             initial =  0, final =  1, other =  0, one word =  0
  2  prodem|that     initial =  0, final =  2, other =  0, one word =  0
  2  v|think             initial =  2, final =  0, other =  0, one word =  0
  1  v|think&past     initial =  1, final =  0, other =  0, one word =  0

Number of words in an initial position =  3
Number of words in an other position   =  0
Number of words in a final position    =  3
Number of one word utterences          =  0

freqpos will give you more information then you need, but just look for the
words in "initial" position. Alternatively you can run freq on the output
from combo.

Leonid.