Wildcard and piping and mlu

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 22 01:55:48 UTC 2010

Masahiko,

	The commands "maxwd +t*CHI" and "kwal +t*CHI" will send data for only one speaker "*CHI" to MLU, so overall MLU results and the MLU results of each individual speaker are the same.

	It is also possible that you are using an older version of CLAN which gives you different result than what I am getting. I am using CLAN version V 8-Oct-2010 and I have tested it on file that we include in CLAN distribution called "sample.cha". It is located in "CLAN/lib/samples" directory. In the example below you can see that MLU recognizes speaker "*MOT" and gives results specifically for that speaker. But, because kwal command selects only one speaker using "+t*MOT" option, then MLU can only compute results for just that one speaker.

Here is what I get:

> kwal +t*MOT +d1 +swant sample.cha | mlu -t%mor
kwal +t*MOT +d1 +swant sample.cha
Thu Oct 21 20:52:50 2010
kwal (18-Oct-2010) is conducting analyses on:
 ONLY speaker main tiers matching: *MOT;
>From file <sample.cha>
mlu -t%mor
Thu Oct 21 20:52:50 2010
mlu (18-Oct-2010) is conducting analyses on:
 ALL speaker tiers
>From pipe input
MLU for Speaker: *MOT:
 MLU (xxx and yyy are EXCLUDED from the utterance and morpheme counts):
	Number of: utterances = 3, morphemes = 23
	Ratio of morphemes over utterances = 7.667
	Standard deviation = 2.357

Let me know if this answers your question.

Leonid.