MLU bug

Yuriko Oshima-Takane yuriko at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 29 17:04:17 UTC 2010

Dear Leonid,

Great. Thanks.

Yuriko

-----Original Message-----
From: chibolts at googlegroups.com [mailto:chibolts at googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Leonid Spektor
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:52 PM
To: chibolts
Subject: Re: MLU bug

 Yuriko,

	New version of mlu works correctly now when +t*... option used. If
you want to run analyses on main speaker tiers instead of %mor tiers, then
use "-t%mor" option as you would have with previous version of mlu. I am
attaching a sample output below to demonstrate that.

You can also tell which tiers are used for analyses by looking at comment(s)
between lines:

    "mlu (....) is conducting analyses on:"

and

    "****************************************".

In the first example, which analyses %mor tiers, the comment is:   ONLY
dependent tiers matching: %MOR;
In the second example, which analyses main speaker tiers, it says: ONLY
speaker main tiers matching: *CHI;

> mlu +t*chi adam01.cha
mlu +t*chi adam01.cha
Wed Sep 29 12:39:08 2010
mlu (19-Sep-2010) is conducting analyses on:
  ONLY dependent tiers matching: %MOR;
>>From file <adam01.cha>
MLU for Speaker: *CHI
  MLU (xxx and yyy are EXCLUDED from the utterance and morpheme counts):
	Number of: utterances = 1232, morphemes = 2644
	Ratio of morphemes over utterances = 2.146
	Standard deviation = 1.067

> mlu +t*chi -t%mor adam01.cha
mlu +t*chi -t%mor adam01.cha
Wed Sep 29 12:39:20 2010
mlu (19-Sep-2010) is conducting analyses on:
  ONLY speaker main tiers matching: *CHI;
>>From file <adam01.cha>
MLU for Speaker: *CHI
  MLU (xxx and yyy are EXCLUDED from the utterance and morpheme counts):
	Number of: utterances = 1232, morphemes = 2582
	Ratio of morphemes over utterances = 2.096
	Standard deviation = 1.024

Leonid.

On Sep 29, 2010, at 12:15, Yuriko Oshima-Takane wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Does this mean that we won't be able to ask students to run MLU on the
main
> tiers with new version
> anymore even though we use "legacy" on @Languages headerline?  I ask
> students in my class to morphemicize a sample transcript and run MLU on
main
> tiers before they learn how to use MOR (and then calculate MLUs on %mor).
> Students seem to understand better what MOR and MLU program do by trying
out
> some morphemicization by themselves.
>
> Yuriko

Behalf