Precodes and continuation markers

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Wed Dec 7 23:11:00 UTC 2011

Hi Brian

::::On Wednesday 07 December 2011 Brian MacWhinney said::::
> If one defines mixed as meaning that one or more words in an utterance come
> from the other language, then just looking for utterances with @s would
> tell you whether something is mixed.  Isn't that true?

If you have a predominantly English text, where English is a null marker, and
then you get a line of Spanish, tagged @s:spa, in which one or more words are
indeterminate (ie occur in both English and Spanish dictionaries - this may
match Erika's unassigned), tagged @s:eng&spa, you would have only @s tags, and
this would count as mixed.  But if you had another line of Spanish with no
indeterminates, you would also have only @s tags, and this would count as
Spanish.  So counting only @s may be deficient.

> I'm not sure how one defines unassignable, but I certainly agree that, on
> the lexical level, many forms are ambiguously LX and LY, particularly in
> the Welsh-English pairing.

> > We're reading the chat files into a database and using that to do things
> > like sequence analysis based on POS, export to a gloss-aligned pdf, and
> > export to chat file.  So we want to make sure that the chat export is a
> > valid one, and it turned out that an assumption we had made about the
> > position of the precodes was incorrect!
>
> Right, but you can run CHECK and CHATTER before reading to the database,
> right?

Once the initial import is done, we generate edited/amended files from the
database, so yes, in an ideal world each iteration of each file would be
checked, but because of time constraints we usually only do a periodic check.
And sometimes we generate files with features (eg empty %eng tiers to pinpoint
where a translation is required - see bangortalk.org.uk/progress) which (I'm
told?) wouldn't pass CHECK anyway.

You're probably right, though, that we should try adding some hoop that runs a
periodic CHECK on all the files.  I'll look at doing that.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk