more coding questions

ceaton12 at umd.edu ceaton12 at umd.edu
Wed Dec 7 23:08:27 UTC 2011

Hello,

I've looked at the recent string of communication on the use of codes
and have a related question. Is it possible to use codes that we
invented (for phonological processes) in the main tier? We're using a
+/- code immediately after the phonological event (examples: back
[+rel]" or back [-rel] to indicate whether a final consonant is
released or not). Obviously the first problem is that these codes are
not recognized in the depfile, so files do not pass CHECK. The second
problem is that FREQ doesn't count the codes since they're in
brackets.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cathy Eaton