Precodes and continuation markers

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Sun Dec 11 13:32:15 UTC 2011

Hi Brian

::::On Thursday 08 December 2011 Brian MacWhinney said::::
>  I assume that you are using "indeterminates" to refer to word at s:eng&spa.
> But, even with that assumption in place, I don't quite follow.  I guess I
> would need a concrete example indicating what you want to track.

I'm having no problem with tracking our data - I was simply pointing out that
"just looking for utterances with @s" may not give you the full picture.

For example, these two utterances are "mixed" in the sense that they both use
"English" words, and just counting @s will tell you that.

*CAR:	new at s:eng money at s:eng que le llaman .
They call it "new money".

*MAR:	pero el ticket at s:eng&spa es mil dólares +...
But the ticket is a thousand dollars

However, in the second the word "ticket" also appears in a Spanish dictionary,
and this is reflected in the tag, but would be missed if you only counted @s.

Does this mean that the two utterances are "different" in some way?  Maybe,
maybe not (though some recent work does seem to show that codeswitches may be
more frequent in the presence of "triggers" - cognates like "ticket").  At any
rate, it's probably prudent not to ignore data by collapsing it prematurely.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk