English contractions

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Dec 29 20:45:44 UTC 2011

Dear ChiBolts,
   I have changed the way that English MOR handles forms like "gotta".  It is now no longer necessary to use replacement forms, such as gotta [: got to].  Instead, forms like "gotta" are now directly legal and yield a part of speech called mod:aux (distinct from mod or aux), as shown in the v-modal.cut file:

gotta
hafta
oughta

If speakers actually use the full forms, however, you must add an underscore, as in

ought_to
got_to
have_to

In a few cases, you will want two separate words, as in "I got to the lake before noon".

These changes do not affect gonna, shoulda, coulda, wanna, sposta, or dunno, which were already being processed fine by v-clit.cut and v-modal.cut.

--Brian MacWhinney