check errors and adding own tags

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jun 24 11:47:36 UTC 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 11:16 AM, RSteinkrauss wrote:

> Hi Leonid,
>
> thank you very much for the quick reply.
>
> 1. I just saw that a new version of the manual has been posted
> yesterday. Thanks for updating the section 6.6.2 on compounds! Did I
> get it right that the + sign should not be used in "standard"
> compounds such as birdhouse,

Dear Rasmus,

Your questions below mostly relate to things that CHECK will not complain about.  But,
if you intend to do morphological analysis, the real issue is what will be accepted by English
MOR.  So, I will answer your questions from that point of view.
For MOR, the use of the plus as compound marker is now optional.
When MOR sees birdhouse and has "bird+house" listed, then
it can figure out the connection.

> but may still be used in numbers (twenty
> +six, see 6.6.5)

No, please write out numbers as separate numbers, as in "twenty six".  Parsing
all possible numbers is in fact a potentially infinite task, but if they are written
as individual numbers, then no problem.

> and should indeed be used in "nonstandard" compounds
> such as blue+green (6.6.2)?

Take a look at the English MOR lexicon and its various compound files to see what
we have.  We have pretty good coverage, but there are always some compounds
that will be missing and which would have to be added.

> And when exactly should the plural -s be
> used (it is still used in m_and_m-s, but not anymore in p_j-s like in
> the previous manual; 6.6.4)?

The best thing here, if you are in doubt is to run
mor +xi
and then type in the form that you want to use.

The tag is actually @z:tag

> I saw that I wrote depadd instead of depfile in my last question, that
> was a typo. Sorry for the confusion. I don't use depadd.cut anymore; I
> meant to say that no matter how I change my depfile.cut, CLAN does not
> react to the changes, and also does not use the original, unchanged
> depfile.cut once I set the lib path back to the original folder. I
> have no idea why that is.

You should not be changing depfile.cut.  That is why we have added @z:tag.
If you need a user-defined coding tier, it has the form %x...  as in %xqqq

Good luck,

-- Brian MacWhiney