additional CLAN dialogs, iPad CLAN, XML CLAN

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Mar 21 22:26:12 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

    We have been adding some features to CLAN that may interest some of you.  They are:

1.  CLAN programs now run inside the TalkBank web browser.  For CHILDES, this browser is found at http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/browser.  For TalkBank, it is found at http://talkbank.org/browser.

2.  Leonid has added additional dialog buttons to CLAN's Commands window for "TIERS" and "SEARCH". Having these buttons is particularly useful for new users of CLAN, but it can also be helpful for experienced users who are having trouble with certain fussy details, particularly in regard to the SEARCH commands based on the +s switch.  After selecting the program you wish to use, such as COMBO or FREQ, these buttons will become available.  Hopefully, the interface is pretty intuitive.

3.  The TalkBank browser (with its CLAN commands) can also run on iPhone and iPad using a standard browser.  Because the iPad and iPhone do not support streaming media using Apple's Streaming server,  Spencer Sugarman has created a separate demo site where you can see TalkBank materials broadcast using an alternative server called Wazoo. Curious  iPhone and iPad devotees can see a demo by going to spencer.talkbank.org.  You need JavaScript and pop-ups enabled.  Over my wireless connnection here, the results were quite impressive, but slower connections might find it less impressive.

4.  We have an initial existence proof of the running of CLAN programs through web browsers using XML.  In a few weeks, there will be something there to try out also.

-- Brian MacWhinney