Files created with CLAN - permissions

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 23 12:32:39 UTC 2011

Katie,

	If I understand you correctly, you are saying that after a user creates a file with CLAN, then this user can change that data file's permissions. But, when any user tries to edit the same data file again, then this data file permissions revert back to previous setting. If this is the case, then it is a result of "file backup" feature turned on. You can disable this feature by opening "CLAN Options" dialog box with menu "Edit->CLAN Options" and selecting "No file backup" check box. The reason CLAN functions this way when "file backup" feature is turned on, is to save time during file saving proccess. CLAN renames the current file to new file with ".bak" extension and then saves the data in CLAN's memory to a newly created file with old name. So, every time you save a file CLAN create a new version of the same file, rather than just simply saving data in the old file.

Leonid.