German MOR

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Fri Sep 30 18:29:56 UTC 2011

Hi

::::On Friday 30 September 2011 Brian MacWhinney said::::
> German is the only language that capitalizes these and it makes the tagging
> job more difficult, because then one cannot readily distinguish proper
> from common nouns.  This then means that you have to list all proper
> nouns, which is a big job that could never be close to complete.

Would it not be possible to look up a capitalised word, and return the noun if
it exists in the lexicon, and something like "name" or "proper" if it doesn't?
Then you would only have to check the names, and add them to the lexicon where
they were in fact nouns.  That is how we're doing it in the autoglosser, but
maybe that approach would not fit in with the MOR architecture?

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk