+d2 to columns not rows

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Mon Apr 23 16:26:09 UTC 2012

Hi Joyce

::::On Monday 23 April 2012 Joyce Marzan said::::
> I am afraid I am using MS Excel 2002 which has a maximum of  256
> columns, but 65536 rows... is there a way to get the lexical data in rows
> instead of columns?

Yes, in both Microsoft Excel (.xls) and Openoffice/LibreOffice (.ods) you can
transpose as follows (using OpenOffice, but Microsoft Excel is similar):
(1) Select the cells you are interested in.
(2) Select Edit -> Copy.
(3) Select Insert->Sheet to insert a new sheet.  Go to that sheet and click in
the top left-hand cell.
(4) Select Edit -> Paste Special.
(5) In the Options dialogue, check the Transpose checkbox, and then click OK.
I'm attaching your test file, with (on the second sheet) the transposed data.

Of course, this only works if you can load the full output file to begin with.
Since you can't, there is the option of upgrading to a new version of
Microsoft Excel, as Brian has suggested, or (preferably) upgrade OpenOffice. The
latter is cheaper, since it's free, and I would suggest going for LibreOffice
rather than OpenOffice, since the former (based on the same code as the latter)
has more developers working on it:
http://www.libreoffice.org
There's really very little reason to spend money on Microsoft Excel nowadays
unless you are using spreadsheets with lots of macros in them, which by
definition you (and probably 99% of other users) are not.

If it's impossible for you to upgrade even to LibreOffice, post again, because
it may be possible to write some code to do the transposition - so far as I
can see, the output file is just plain csv with no vendor-specific xls stuff.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk