xx issue

Melissa Senor melissasenor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 01:01:17 UTC 2012

Brian,

Yes the problem is that we would like to be able to differentiate between
an unintelligible word (xx) and unintelligible sounds/babble (xxx) and with
the new changes we are not able to. We wanted to find out if with the new
change in coding xxx, if xxx still remains not counted by MLT/MLU or if it
took on the characteristics of xx and it IS counted towards MLT/MLU. Also
by using the change string code that you sent me, if all instances of xx
are changed into xxx, or grouped together and changed to xxx?

ie. xx xx --> xxx or xx xx ---> xxx xxx.

In particular, the first question is important, since if it IS counted in
the MLT/MLU then we can use it as we used to use xx
(an unintelligible word). If not, then is there a different way to code it
rather than using xxx since we want it counted when we run our analysis.

Melissa Senor