FREQ

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Feb 7 16:32:43 UTC 2012

Dear ChiBolts,
    I am replying here to a message that Darinka posted to info-childes.  Because this is a message about the functioning of CLAN programs, it is best discussed on chibolts instead.  Here is her message and my answer:

> Dear collegues,
>
> I wanted to match codes on the %mor tier to words on the main line and I used MODREP for it:
>
> MODREP +u +k +r2 +b%mor +c* +t at ID=2.*.*.*.*.*  +o"v|*" *.mor
>
> But then I found out that the output of this command do not provide the same frequency for codes as I get from FREQ on %mor tier. MODREP provided systematically larger frequency then FREQ.
>
> I had expected them to be exactly the same. Do I missunderstand something?
>

> Darinka Andjelkovic
>
> Laboratory of Experimental Psychology and Institute of Psychology
> Faculty of Philosophy
> University of Belgrade
> Serbia

Dear Darinka,
     The difference arises from the fact that the %mor line excludes repetitions and several other things from the main line.  The goal of the %mor line is to analyze morphology and syntax.  To do this, excluding repetitions helps in automatic part of speech tagging.  The %mod line, on the other hand, is pegged to the main line in a way that includes all words, including repetitions.  Therefore, it will have larger numbers than a FREQ on the %mor line.  You can modify what FREQ looks at on the main line by using the +r6 switch to exclude repetitions.  You might check that.  In general, few people have used the %mod line as the target for FREQ, so we haven't payed much attention to the details of what is there.

-- Brian MacWhinney