Using %gra tier to extract transitive and intransitive relations

Liam Considine ljc3179 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:16:56 UTC 2012

Hello chibolts community,

I am currently trying to extract (with reasonable recall and
precision) instances of transitivity and intransitivity from the
CHILDES transcripts.

I have been creating a .cut file with a list of dependency searches. I
have a question about how to most efficiently use this method.

Here is what i believe to be some of most basic transitive relations
translated into dependency queries (please help me if i am mistaken!):

1|0|ROOT^2|1|OBJ
1|0|ROOT^2|3|DET^3|1|OBJ
1|0|ROOT^2|4|DET^3|4|MOD^4|1|OBJ
1|2|SUBJ^2|0|ROOT^3|2|OBJ
1|2|SUBJ^2|0|ROOT^3|5|DET^4|5|MOD^5|2|OBJ
1|2|SUBJ^2|0|ROOT^3|4|DET^4|2|OBJ
1|2|SUBJ^2|0|ROOT^3|4|MOD^4|2|OBJ
1|3|SUBJ^2|3|AUX^3|0|ROOT^4|3|OBJ
1|2|SUBJ^2|0|ROOT^3|5|DET^4|5|MOD^5|2|OBJ
1|3|SUBJ^2|3|AUX^3|0|ROOT^4|5|DET^5|3|OBJ
1|4|SUBJ^2|4|AUX^3|2|NEG^4|0|ROOT^5|4|OBJ

not so sure about:
1|3|OBJ^2|3|SUBJ^3|0|ROOT
as in question "what did I forget about?" response "the dog you hit."

---------------------------- here is where my question comes into play
-------------------------------------

I am interested in all instances of a verb taking an object, they do
not necessarily have to be the first things that appear in a line of
transcript.

Do i need to transpose each of these searches to different sentential/
dependency depths?
What i mean is if i start with: 1|2|SUBJ^2|0|ROOT^3|2|OBJ
Do i need to add these? 2|3|SUBJ^3|0|ROOT^4|3|OBJ & 3|4|SUBJ^4|0|
ROOT^5|4|OBJ etc....
Would these transposed searches find the dependency relationships i am
interested in places other than sentence initially?

Many thanks for all the energy and advice!

-Liam Considine