syntactic measures for a growth curve analysis

Yuriko Oshima-Takane yuriko at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 15 21:39:14 UTC 2012

Hi  Brian and colleagues,

We would like to do a growth curve analysis on some syntactic measures

using the functional data analysis. MLU is not a good syntactic measure

for this analysis because it sometimes goes down like 1.56 -> 2.20 ->1.60
->2.15.

We are wondering if MLUs excluding one morpheme utterances could be

used for this analysis.  But we are not sure how to exclude all the one

morpheme utterances from the transcripts and calculate MLUs.  Could you

please let us know how to do that? Also if you know any other syntactic

measure which would be good for a growth curve analysis, please let us know.

Thanks.

Yuriko