number of utterances

Misha Becker mbecker at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 19 20:13:17 UTC 2012

I'm wondering how to calculate the number of utterances a given speaker produces in each file (I will be searching for *MOT and *FAT). I have a note from many years ago that the way to do this is with the following command:

freq +y +s\** [filename]

But this doesn't actually do what I want. It seems to give the number of words produced by each speaker in a file. How do I find out the number of *utterances*? I've looked through the latest version of the Clan manual but haven't found the answer.

Many thanks,
Misha