Intermittent sound-bullet truncation

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 1 14:02:54 UTC 2012

Kevin,

	When you say "sound-bullets do not cover all the audio" do you mean the actual numeric value of bullets changes or the audio clip associated with bullets values stops playing back sooner than at other times?

If the actual bullets values change, then I would like to get a sample of your data file and MP3 file that exhibit this problem.

If playback duration changes a lot, just under a second of time or more, then again I would like to get a sample of your data file and MP3 file that exhibit this problem.

If playback duration changes a little bit, than the problem could be with computer's CPU use by other applications or components during playback interferes with audio's playback. Or user clicks with a mouse or presses a key on keyboard during playback. Or bullets were created using uncompressed media file and playback is done with compressed MP3 file or vice versa.

For accuracy we recommend using only non-compressed media during creation of bullets and during playback. The next best thing is to use the same MP3 media file for both creating bullets and playback. MP3 files are very compressed, sometimes ten times of the original non-compressed media. This means that bullet's time values will not match the same starting and ending points in compressed media as in non-compressed one. Or even using the same compressed media on two different OS systems or two widely different in performance computers or using two different versions of QuickTime. It all depends on how the MP3 media playback is implemented on given computer. MP3 playback code was designed to play long, continuos portion of media file, such as MP3 songs. It doesn't seem to handle playing back small clips with quick starts and stops from different parts of media file.

Leonid.