Chatter error messages

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Mar 17 03:31:56 UTC 2012

Kevin,
    Chatter doesn't provide detail on the meanings of messages, but it does a good job of
delineating exactly the line and column of the error, which usually does the trick.  The problem
in your first example is that you have placed a pause before the retrace mark and the order
should be reversed because the retrace mark is intended to apply to the material retraced.
   In the case of the second error, you have bumped into a very new "feature" in CHAT that now expects
one more vertical bar line at the end of the @ID field.  This was added because a lot of people wanted
to have a "custom"  field in the @ID line.  I added this to every file in the database last week.  If you have
a very current version of CLAN, it will also add the right number of vertical bars.
    However, this is super easy to fix.  Just replace the final two vertical bars with three and you should
be okay.
     I have updated the manual to include this information, but it was very recent and there is no way you
would have really known about this.  Sorry.

-- Brian MacW