3rd or 4th language

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Fri Mar 23 08:24:06 UTC 2012

Hi Joyce

::::On Friday 23 March 2012 Joyce Marzan said::::
> My thanks to both Brian and Shelley. The [- una] is a great idea as
> well. Hadn't thought of that. It is perfect for words that could (or
> do) belong to both languages. Thank you,

Another option is to use [- eng] and [- spa] precodes for monolingual
utterances, and tag individual words in mixed utterances: @s:eng, @s:spa and
@s:eng&spa (for undetermined or unassigned).  This helps if you want to look
at the word level as opposed to the utterance level (eg compare words
occurring before an undetermined word, or see what words follow a particular
Spanish word).  We are using this in the Bangor Miami (Spanish-English) and
Patagonia (Welsh-Spanish) corpora, which will be published shortly on
TalkBank.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly