problem when using '|' to pipe command lines.

Huang Y.J. ihappylearning at gmail.com
Thu May 31 09:33:35 UTC 2012

Dear Mr./Ms:

Hello, I am using CLAN under Windows7 to do POS grammar pattern search
for a large corpus about 55 texts of 2000,000 words. In order to tag
and all the files with mor at once and then do frequency and
concordance search, I try to simplify the procedure by using pipe bar
‘|’ for multiple command lines.

E.g. In order to change the Language and ID code names systematically
from ‘en’ to ‘eng’ through multi-files, and then following the mor and
post commands for tagging, I tried to combine the commands together to
run them in a batch by using ‘|’ in between each command line.

When the command lines are executed together in a pipe line, some
errors occurred as the below.
" Can't create file *.CHSTR.chstr.cex", perhaps it is opened by
another application "
(But when each command line is executed separately, the result is
smooth and correct.)

I was wondering do you know what the problem is and how I can solve
it? Or is there any other way that I can simplify the tagging and
searching procedure in a batch for multiple files? (expecting to be a
growing corpus of 50~100 files in 4~7 folders.)
Thank you.

Best,
Huang Y.J.

The pipe command lines I used and the result as the following:

textin *.txt | chstring +s"en" "eng" *.cha +w +t at ID -t* | chstring
+s"en" "eng" *.chstr.cex +w +t at Languages -t* | mor *.*chstr.chstr.cex
| post *.*chstr.chstr.mor.cex

The feedback message from CLAN:
textin *.txt
Mon May 28 00:11:56 2012
textin (21-Feb-2012)
>From file <Test.txt>
Done with file <Test.txtin.cha>
>From string "en" to string "eng"
Can't create file "*.chstr.cex", perhaps it is opened by another
application
>From string "en" to string "eng"
Can't create file "*.CHSTR.chstr.cex", perhaps it is opened by another
application
Can't create file "*.*CHSTR.CHSTR.mor.cex", perhaps it is opened by
another application

Using file:      C:\Program Files\CHILDES\CLAN\lib\English Grammar
(mor)\post.db.

Mon May 28 00:11:56 2012
post (21-Feb-2012) is conducting analyses on:
  ALL speaker tiers