including ID tiers in kwal commands

Rowland, Caroline crowland at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Nov 12 14:19:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

We are trying to extract all mother utterances that contain locative verbs from a batch of transcripts (Manchester corpus) using kwal.    We have created a cut file containing a list of locative verbs (locativesMOR.cut) and have used the command:

kwal +t*MOT: +t%mor: +s at locativesMOR.cut +u +d1 *.cha > locatives.cut

This gets us exactly what we want except for one thing. We would like to include information from the @ID tier about the child's age with each utterance. So for each utterance we currently have, for example:

@Comment:      ----------------------------------------
@Comment:      *** File "anne01a.cha": line 127. Keyword: v|brush-past
*MOT:  have her hair brushed ?
%mor:   v|have pro:poss:det|her n|hair v|brush-PAST ?

But would like something like:

@ID:      eng|manchester|CHI|1;10.07|female|normal|middle-class|Target_Child|||
*MOT:  have her hair brushed ?
%mor:   v|have pro:poss:det|her n|hair v|brush-PAST ?

(i.e. - for each line to have attached to it the ID tier with information about child age).

It doesn't actually matter how the information about child's age is provided - as long as we have it attached to each utterance. Is it possible to do this - either with kwal or another command?

Thanks

Caro