Mor with replacements

Stephen Wilson smwilsonau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 00:06:39 UTC 2012

Hi all,

My research involves patients with aphasia. I am somewhat new to CHAT/CLAN,
having used other methods (i.e. QPA) in the past.

I'm puzzled about how mor is supposed to work with replacement forms. I can
see how with a form like "gonna", it makes sense to expand it as "[: going
to]" so that its morphosyntax can be analyzed accordingly. But the [:
replacement] notation is also used for what seems like a fundamentally
different purpose, i.e. denoting intended forms when errors are made. Lots
of examples are given in the "Error Coding" chapter of the CHAT manual.

When I'm doing my morphosyntactic/lexical analysis, I want to treat "gonna"
as "going to", but when my patients make errors, I want mor to analyze what
they actually said, not what they intended to say. For instance, if a
patient said "flag" instead of "kite", I would not want mor (or my
subsequent analysis) to proceed as if they had said "kite", which is a
low-frequency word that they probably can't produce.

Have other people encountered this issue, and do you have any ideas of a
good way to approach it?

best,
Stephen