Calculating speech rate with Kideval?

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 11 02:26:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

	Different analyses in KIDEVAL require counting words and utterances differently. The "Dur Words" and "Dur Utts" columns show the number of words and utterances counted for time duration analyses. If you have any utterances with no words on them, then the "Total Utts" column will have smaller number of utterances counted than "Dur Utts" column. So, for time duration analyses the empty utterance is still counted. The other DUR columns represent just what you assumed. The "Dur Words" column includes all words on main speaker tier including the words that are marker with [/], [//], [///], [/-], [/?] codes. The only "words" that are excluded from the "Dur Words" count are "0", "0word", "&word",  "xxx", "yyy" and "www".

	The bullets will be included is utterance doesn't have any words on it. You can exclude all zero words utterances from the data with this KWAL command:

kwal +x>0w +o% +o@ +d +f *.cha

and then run KIDEVAL on KWAL's output files.

Leonid.