Switches in FLO (+u or >>, +c1) and making a list of speaker IDs

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 14 14:06:15 UTC 2013

On Aug 14, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Amanda Owen Van Horne <ajowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm cleaning codes out of some CHAT files to prepare them for use in another program - I really want one gigantic file full of adult input to children.
>
> For the most part I've been relying on the FLO command to create a new file of just the adult input (flo @ -t*CHI -t% +d +r1 +f).

I would use KWAL for this, rather than FLO.  Also, you can use TRIM, which simplifies some of the typing in the KWAL command.

>   I'd like to do a few things to improve workflow that have me stumped:
>
> 1) eliminate 'empty' utterances (*MOT: 0.).  FLO changes it to *MOT: .  <-- +c1 seems like it might do this in KWAL (9.17.3 in the manual) but +c doesn't do the same thing with every command and doesn't seem available with FLO. Do I need to do a first pass with KWAL and pipe the results into FLO?  Or vice versa?

For detailed and/or complex custom removals and changes of this type, I would recommend using a Regular Expression editor such as BBEdit (Mac) or Sublime Edit (PC).

> 2) Make a list of all speaker identifiers across a series of corpus files  (*MOT:, *FAT:, *URS:, etc)

freq +s"\**" *.cha +re +y +u

> 3) Merge all of the output into a single file.  FLO @ -t*CHI -t% +d >>myanalyses  doesn't work nor does +u.  The first generates an empty file called myanalyses plus lots of individual files while the second yields an error message. Again should I be combinging FLO with something else to get the output I want.

We designed KWAL, rather than FLO  for what you are doing.  KWAL would seem to be a better match.  You could always fun FLO at the very end, if needed.

--Brian MacWhinney