Error: Can't open language codes file "ISO-639"

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Dec 4 19:33:07 UTC 2013

Bruno,

	Nothing you have done can normally cause the problem you are describing. I assume that check was able to open "ISO-639.cut” file and worked before you edited the "ISO-639.cut” file. I am just guessing what the problem may be.

The first thing I want you to try, if you haven’t done it yet, is to quit CLAN completely and to restart is again.

If this doesn’t fix the problem, then I would like you to try using “check” command in CLAN’s Commands window instead of ESC-l command you are using now.

If “check” command doesn’t work either, then I would like you to try the following:
1. set “working” directory button in CLAN’s Commands window to "C:\TalkBank\CLAN\lib\fixes” directory.
2. in Commands window type “dir” and press “Run” button. It will output a list of all files located in that directory as CLAN sees them.
3. make sure that you see the "ISO-639.cut” file listed.

If it is listed exactly as above, then make sure that it doesn’t have any space characters in the name by opening "C:\TalkBank\CLAN\lib\fixes” directory on PC’s desktop and looking at file name more closely.

If there are no space characters, then reset “lib” button directory in CLAN’s Commands window to "C:\TalkBank\CLAN\lib” directory again. I know you have it already set that way, but I would like you to do it again.

If it still doesn’t work, then it is possible that when you have changed the "ISO-639.cut” and saved it, the file protection somehow changed and now CLAN can’t open it. When you have opened "C:\TalkBank\CLAN\lib\fixes” directory on PC’s desktop try opening
"ISO-639.cut” file with CLAN again and see it CLAN can open it.

If everything above fails then please uninstall CLAN and reinstall it again. And try check ESC-l to see if CLAN can locate default
"ISO-639.cut” file. I am trying to figure out if the problem is with new file you edited and saved or if CLAN is failing to find any
"ISO-639.cut” file at all.

As always make sure you have recent version of CLAN.

Leonid.