question about w option

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Feb 20 15:06:38 UTC 2013

Dear Heather,

     By the way, did you realize that you could double click on the output from MAXWD and that will directly open the segment with each of the relevant longest utterances.  For example, if you command is

maxwd barry.cha +g2 +t*CHI

The output will be:

>From file <barry.cha>
*** File "barry.cha": line 87:     Number of chosen words 10.
*CHI:	this the the car can go go on like this ?

Then you can click on the line with the three stars and it will open up the original and you can look at the lines before and after and cut and paste.  Or you could add a code there and later use KWAL with the +w switch to extract the segments as you need.

We are not really sure exactly what you need in this case.  One possible change to CLAN that Leonid could do would be to make it so that KWAL itself could directly process the lines with *** and then you could use the +w switch directly.

If we understood a bit more about what you are trying to achieve, that might help.

--Brian MacWhinney