Transcription software

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Tue Feb 26 08:41:36 UTC 2013

Hi Virginia

::::On Monday 25 February 2013 Tompkins, Virginia L. said::::
> I have a question about transcription software that is compatible with foot
> pedals-I apologize for this not being exactly about CHILDES. I use the
> Infinity USB Digital Foot Control for transcribing using CHAT to control
> the audio hands-free while typing. I am searching for a transcription
> software that is compatible with this foot pedal and that I can install on
> a single computer with multiple users. I purchased Express Scribe Pro for
> my 3 lab computers only to find out that it cannot be used by more than 1
> user-(me, since I installed it). The price for purchasing this software
> for each of 8+ researcher assistants on 3 computers would be too great.
> Does anyone use or know of a similar software that works with multiple
> users?

Have you looked at f4:
http://www.audiotranskription.de/english/f4.htm
This seems to cost at most €99 for a group licence, but free versions are
available (only dealing with the first 10 minutes of a recording, but ....).  I
don't do much transcription, but I used it a couple of years ago and it worked
quite well.  I don't know how well it would handle CHAT conventions, though.
They sell 3 foot-pedals, but it also says they support Infinity IN_USB, Olympus
RS-28, and some Philips and Grundig models.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly
kevindonnelly.org.uk