How to obtain verb frequencies for marked segments

Linda Mortensen lindamorten at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:05:15 UTC 2013

Dear ChiBolts,

I need to extract all the verbs from a set of transcription files and need
the verbs to be extracted from separate portions of each file. To do this,
I first use the MOR command to generate a CHAT file that contains both main
lines and %mor lines. In this MOR file I have inserted the "@BG:" and
"@EG:" markers to segment each file into portions corresponding to the
pictures that are described in the file. I have inserted the "@BG:" marker
before the first main line associated with a given picture and the "@EG:"
marker after the last %mor line associated with the same picture. I then
use the following GEMFREQ command: gemfreq +fS +t%mor +s@|v,|v:* *.cha. But
when I run this command, I get a file that lists the frequency of each word
in the file (not just the verbs), and the frequencies are given for the
entire file (not for each marked segment separately). How do I get the
frequencies for each @BG- at EG marked segment? And how do I limit the
frequency counts to the verbs only?

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks.