reading CLAN output (.cex files) into R

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 5 13:09:48 UTC 2013

Rose,

	All CLAN input and output files are in plain text format and can be opened by any text editor. The problem you seems to be encountering is due to R application's failure to recognize files with .cex as text files. You can change CLAN's output filename extension either by locating that file on the hard disk and renaming it from .cex to .txt manually or you can use CLAN's rename command "ren" to do it. Here is the rename command "ren *.cex *.txt".

	The reason the +f.txt option works the way it does is because files are associated with applications based in their filename extensions. And we wanted to allow people to change some part of the filename extension without losing those files association with CLAN application. The reason for that is that even though CLAN output files are encoded in plain text format some text editor might still be unable to display some CLAN files correctly. In particular any file that has underlines or has any non-english characters would have to be opened in a special way by other text editor. CLAN files are encoded in UTF-8. If text editor or your program R is unable to display CLAN files correctly automatically, then you will have to instruct that application to treat CLAN output files as "plain text", UTF-8 encoded files.

Leonid.