Error using CHAT

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Oct 9 16:33:55 UTC 2013

Dear Katherine,

Chapter 2 (Tutorial) of the CLAN manual describes the fact that you have to make sure that your LIB directory is set to the CLAN/LIB folder.  This error message indicates that it is not set correctly yet.  Just take a look at your "Commands" window and see what it says to the right of the "lib" button.  Is it correctly set?  Make sure by opening that folder and looking for a subfolder called /fixes which should contain the file "ISO-639.cut".

For current versions of CLAN, the LIB directory is set by default on Mac to /Applications/CLAN/lib/ and on Windows to c:/TalkBank/CLAN/lib.

We changed the place of the default installation on Windows about two months ago from c:/childes/CLAN/lib to c:/TalkBank/CLAN/lib.  Whatever version you have, just make sure that the folder is actually there.

--Brian MacWhinney