Manual for media files

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jan 10 21:29:43 UTC 2014

Dear Misha,
    The database guides  at http://childes.talkbank.org/manuals/ provide documentation about the corpora.  I am not sure what type of separate documentation one would have about media files.  Perhaps you are asking about how to know whether a given corpus has either linked audio or linked video.  In that case, one way to study this is to use the Browser at
http://childes.talkbank.org/browser/    If there is an icon with a speaker, then there is linked audio.  If there is an icon with a film clip, then there is linked video.   Sadly, for the bilingual corpora, most are missing both audio and video.  The exceptions are YipMatthews, MCF, Mandarin, and one of the Perez children.   In many cases, we have the audio and video, but it has not yet been linked.  For the bilingual files, you can go to http://childes.talkbank.org/media/0unlinked/biling and you will see audio and video that has not yet been linked for several corpora.

—Brian MacWhinney