Self-interruptions and self-corrections

Chris Dixon cddixon90 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 11:15:26 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm not quite sure how to deal with self-interruptions and corrections. The
utterance I need to transcribe is:

*CHI:  the turtle took him underwater to the beautiful palace where the
king's wife, *I mean the king's daughter*, gave him a box.

How is this best transcribed? Currently I have it as such:

*CHI:   the turtle took him underwater to the beautiful palace where the
    king's wife +//.
*CHI:  I mean the king's daughter gave him a box.

According to the manual.
"When an incompletion is not followed by further material from the same
speaker, the +... symbol should always be selected. However, when the
speaker breaks off an utterance and starts up another, the +//. symbol can
be used"

So I shouldn't use +... because there *is* further material from the same
speaker. The question is whether "I mean the king's daughter gave him a
box" counts as breaking off the previous utterance and constitutes a new
one in itself.

Thanks!
Chris