Calculating Extratextual Utterances

Virginia Tompkins vltompkins at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:33:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the number of utterances speakers made other than
the text they read aloud from a book (i.e., number of extratextual
utterances). The utterances read from the book are notated using the CHAT
convention +". The CLAN manual says to create a file to exclude these
utterances by creating a separate file with [+ "] listed (I noticed that
there is a space here, whereas there is not in the CHAT manual). I have
tried this using the command mlt +t*MOT -s at exclude.txt filename.cha where
exclude.txt is a plain text file containing [+"]. With or without the
space, this is not removing the lines with quoted material, but giving me
the total number of utterances rather than just the extratextual
utterances. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Virginia Tompkins