Calculating Extratextual Utterances

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Jul 26 18:59:48 UTC 2014

Dear Virginia,
     There are two separate things here.  One is the utterance terminator for the second part of quotation sequences which takes the form +".
The other is a postcode in the form [+ "].  The former occurs are the end of the utterance with no square brackets.  The latter is marked after the
final delimiter.  For the postcode exclusion method to work, you need to add the postcodes after each utterance to be excluded.  You could use a
form such as [+ quote] or just [+ exc] instead of [+ "] as a way of marking items to be excluded with the -s@ switch.

-- Brian MacWhinney