vocd for only one language

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Mar 25 17:48:32 UTC 2014

Dear Vivienne,

    I am jumping into this discussion a bit late, so I may not fully understand the issues.  The basic method for running programs on a single language in all of the programs involves using the +s/-s switch as in -s"[- eng]" to exclude the English sentences in a transcript with mostly, say, Cantonese.  Leonid explains to me that this is perhaps not giving you what you want that you may want to use the +l switch instead.  However, the +l switch was created for a different purpose.  It seems to me that using +l would not be correct, because using it to exclude parts of utterances would give an incomplete picture of a given language.  Certainly, it would not be good for MLU. For VOCD, I can see an equally good argument on both sides.
    In terms of the work your students are doing, I would need to have a clearer idea of what is necessary for which programs for which purposes on which format (downloaded vs. browsable transcripts) before trying to change anything.  Perhaps we can continue this discussion off ChiBolts and then post the final solution that we reach.

Best regards,

-- Brian MacWhinney