MLT: counting null utterances (i.e. communicative gestures) as turns

Suzy Read suzannec.read at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:16:51 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I'm using CLAN to run MLT analyses on a corpus of data where parents and
children read books together. In our transcripts, sometimes the parent or
child will use a communicative non-verbal gesture (e.g. pointing at the
book, waving their hand) but will not speak. We have transcribed these
events so that the main line is a null utterance containing just "0", as
follows:

**FATP1: whose house are they going to?*
**CHIP1: 0.*
*%act: points at the house.*
**FATP:  that's right.*

In these transcripts, the child's pointing is clearly a conversation turn.
But when I run the MLT operation, I've found that that the null utterances
are being counted as utterances, but not as turns. I cannot figure out what
switches to use to make CLAN count the null utterances as turns. I tried to
add the [+ trn] postcode after the 0 in the main line, and then to add the
switch +s"[+ trn]", but this did not work (it made CLAN look at *only* null
utterances, but still not counting them as turns).

Would anyone be able to assist? I would really appreciate the help! Thanks
in advance!