Error Message: Unmatched ' found on the tier

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 8 19:34:48 UTC 2015

You are probably using “special” apostrophes, rather than the apostrophe that sits next to the semi-colon key.  This is usually caused by editing files in MS-Word, rather than CLAN.  If you use the special apostrophes from Word, CLAN thinks that they are markers of a second level of quotation and then they have to be paired.

—Brian MacWhinney