Question about marking clauses

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Apr 14 18:05:11 UTC 2015

Dear Nicole,

Great question.  I think the best way to do this is to use a variant of [^c] in the cases in which the clause contains an error.  Let’s say that this new code is [^d].  Then you can simply count both [^c] and [^d] using FREQ, as you mention below.  The only catch here is that we had to slightly modify the depfile.cut to allow this.  So, if you get a new version of CLAN with this new depfile.cut, it will allow [^d] (or any other code of this form) along with [^c].   I also modified the relevant section of the CLAN manual to read as follows.

—Brian MacW

Clause Delimiter                             [^c]

If you wish to conduct analyses such as MLU and MLT based on clauses rather than utterances as the basic unit of analysis, you should mark the end of each clause with this symbol.  It is not necessary to mark the scope of this symbol, since it is assumed to apply to all the material before it up to the beginning of the utterance or up to the preceding [^c] marker. It is possible to create additonal user-defined single-letter codes using this format, such as [^d] which could be defined as a marker of a clause that includes an error. Then, inside the MLU and MLT programs, you need to add the +c switch to specify exactly which codes of this type should be recognized.